Risks increase while temperatures decrease. Make sure your home and roof are prepared and protected in the snowy months with these top tips:
- Is your roof protected? Apply coating to help your roof endure poor weather conditions. Do this early, well before winter and bad weather hits.
- Got a snow plan? Snow on your roof can be heavy and is a major hazard. Secure a plan for removing it.
- Prevent Frozen Pipes. As winter months near, make sure to routinely drain your pipes to prevent frozen pipes and cracks. Shut off water when necessary.
- Prevent Dangerous Ice Dams. Make sure your home’s attic is properly and securely insulated to help prevent ice dams.
- Minimize Cold Drafts. Make sure to repair any cracked or broken doors and windows in your home. Drafts make for a high electric bill and uncomfortable living-space.
- A Trusted Tip: Consider installing window plastic or caulk along your windows’ and doors’ edges to reduce a draft and add an extra layer of insulation.
- Have your furnace and heating system checked by a professional and clean/replace filters.
- A Trusted Tip: Have your fireplace checked. Excess build-up can cause hazards.
Sources: North American Roofing Company and The Hartford