Professional Insurance Programs

Do Your Adult Children Need Their Own Health Plan?

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires plans and issuers that offer dependent coverage to make the coverage available until a child reaches the age of 26. Both married and unmarried children qualify for this coverage.

This rule applies to all ACA plans in the individual market and to new employer plans. It also applies to existing employer plans unless the adult child has another offer of employer-based coverage (such as through his or her job). Beginning in 2014, children up to age 26 can stay on their parent’s employer plan even if they have another offer of coverage through an employer.

Non-ACA plans or “grandfathered” plans may not follow the same rules and guidelines. Be sure to contact your provider for dependent eligibility.

So, what options are available to young adults once they lose coverage? Professional Insurance Programs works with private insurance companies to provide coverage for individuals losing insurance as a result of aging out of dependent coverage on a family policy. Losing coverage does qualify as Special Enrollment Period, allowing one to obtain new coverage outside of Open Enrollment. There is a 60 day window for this to be done.

For more information on health benefits and options available contact us today at 800-637-4676 or email us at